Sunday, May 3, 2009

To market, to market...

Joanie and I went to the Royal Oak Farmers Market this past Saturday to scope out all the local produce and plants and to get outta the house for the morning. Fun, right? Educational for a kid, you say? Some things I didn't realize about such an adventure....

1. This is a two-parent event. Or... a single parent plus a stroller event.
2. Old ladies are batshit about herbs and whatnot and will mow over a two year old to check out some coriander.
3. Joan seems to enjoy kicking plants more than smelling flowers. We are discovering our aggressive-towards-nature side, I imagine.
4. Wrestling with a two year old who would rather walk than be carried + trying to talk to the farmers + helping Joan with the tote bag she insisted on carrying = one mother who is sweaty enough to make one believe she had just run a marathon. (I hadn't)

Sometimes I get these images in my head of a sunny mother/daughter day in the backyard, digging around in a flowerbed and planting flowers that were fresh from the market....laughing, enjoying each others company...quality time.
I'm obviously deluded.
I fail to remember that my kid is TWO. She wants to put flowers in her mouth. She wants to run into bushes just to see what happens. She wants to water the tomato plants until they've lost the will to live and our water bill reaches an all time high. She wants to push over any potted plant that comes into view. She wants to drag our tote bag around and stop to adjust it every 2 feet because she's just a little bean.

Little beans do these things.


Was it my daydreamy vision of mother/daughter bonding....? Well. A little different, but yeah, it was.

I still had a great time...and I think we'll be back to the Market soon. (With a stroller or a Daddy, most likely). I think the best part about our trip was that it taught me not to put expectations on our days together. In reality, it's far better for both Joan and I if we're flexible and just let things play out how they may. Another great part...allowing myself a moment to tell off an old lady for basically pushing my kid to the ground and then not apologizing. That's how you get an ass-whooping, lady....or some rhubarb shoved where the sun don't shine. For reals.


Lastly...here's our score. Some little lavender plants that will go into the backyard. Hooray!


3 comments:

eryn said...

we go to the market often too. with of course the stroller and daddy. it is absolutely impossible without.

Kirsten said...

Ha, ha. It's true! A stroller at the very least. My friend and I (both of us) had a hard enough time at Regeneration in Ferndale on Saturday. We were so happy to get to Trader Joe's -- where Echo could be locked down in a cart!

The Proper Peach said...

Kirsten...when we saw you at the Spring Fling, Joan was seriously ready to jump outta my arms! I never learn, obviously.