Monday, February 2, 2009

Colors and clothespins

I can't wait to post some pictures of Becca's birthday present! However, I must exercise some restraint and hold off until it's been shipped and received. So....photos of that little nugget of goodness to come soon. I hope she likes it!

In other doings, I had the opportunity to go treasure hunting at some local thrift stores this past weekend. I'm always on the lookout for loads of crafty goodies like thread, buttons and whatnot. I was a total winner coming home with bags of good stuff! Aside from a giant bag of assorted thread and lots of embroidery hoops (I'll elaborate on plans for those babies later) and a rockin retro tablecloth, I found these:

It was pure fate. I was shipping off a skunk and I had told Clint that I wished I had some mini clothespins to attach along with it....purely for humorous reasons. Two days later...behold!!! I couldn't believe it. So I snatched these up without a second thought along with a load of old wooden "regular-sized" clothespins. Score.

I also picked up a great big green wool blanket which I plan to felt and use for leaves for my flower brooches. I was inspired to grab a big ol' king-sized flannel sheet (for $2) and try my hand out some dyeing.
One sheet and some Rit dye later...I came out with these lovely squares of goodness.


Oh....it was the most therapeutic experience of my week. I have an affinity for anything color-coded, so I sat and stared at these swatches for quite some time. *sigh*

The colors were much more vibrant and the variations more noticeable prior to washing and drying...but I am still happy with the outcome nonetheless. A good first attempt in my book.
I have big plans for these beautiful colors....I'm thinking some more creatures and some pillows perhaps.
Stay tuned!
xo


1 comment:

Medina said...

Those clothespins are cuties...

and you are terrific at dying things... I don't trust myself to try it without dying a ten foot area around me... Hehe

I saw the item that Lori won from you and I just had to see your site :) Great stuff!!!!!!!